For the last five years, the Community Beautification Grant has presented the recipients of the grant a banner to display on their project. The banner has a signature "AWARDEE" displayed across the top of the banner. This is to alert passers-by that their neighbors are striving for something more.
The image above depicts the 2008-09 banner that was presented to each organization at the Awardee Recognition Ceremony on March 16th, 2009 (full list of awardees). The 16 project pictures that grace the top and bottom of the banner are from exceptional recently completed projects. They represent a variety of projects and areas, including a new recycling program in Pacific Palisades, elegant new community signs in Harvard Heights, the transformation of a neglected space to a school haven in Sunland, and a community garden attached to the side of a wall in Skid Row. All the organizations shown on the banner are listed below with the name of their projects:
Top row, left to right:
- Japanese American Cultural & Community Center, "Maple Bridge at the Japanese Garden in Little Tokyo"
- Rockdale Elementary School, "Rockdale's Secret Garden"
- Fair Avenue Elementary, "Garden of Knowledge"
- Liggett Street School, " 'Project Pride!' Liggett Lions Community Cleanup Drive"
- North Harvard Heights Beautification Committee, "Harvard Heights - Signs to Remind"
- Urban Farming, "Urban Farming Food Chain"
- Plainview Avenue School, "Plainview's Patch of Green"
- Tarzana Community And Cultural Center, "Beautification and Refurbishment of Ventura Blvd Frontage"
Bottom row, left to right:
- Healthy Start Project, "Pathway to Knowledge Reading Garden"
- Rosewood Community Garden, "New Gates to Rosewood Community Beautification Garden"
- Associated Supporters of Mariposa, "The Art Starts Here! Mariposa Playground Beautification Project"
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Charter Elementary School, "Arts Oasis"
- Community School Parents Association, "The Not So Secret Garden"
- Mural Restoration, "Hard Drive Mural"
- Palisades Green, a division of Palisades Cares, "Green the Palisades/Recycling Bins"
- Valley Cultural Center, "Reseda's Cornucopia of Cultural Contributions-Past & Present"
Look for the banner in a neighborhood near you.