Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Our grantees have been very busy in the last few days with their projects. CB Grant staff has taken part in over 8 dedication in the last 10 days. These are (in no particular order):
- TERA - The Eagle Rock Association, "Eagle Rock Make Art Not Trash Project" ~ Commissioned local artists to design and create ceramic mosaic panels. The panels were attached to 20 cast concrete trash receptacles gracing Eagle Rock's main commercial streets.
- The Collaborative Eagle Rock Beautiful, "Wiota Circle" ~ Installed an impressive neighborhood marker on Colorado Blvd.
- Friends of Westminster Avenue Garden, "WE Garden" ~ Expanded and revitalized the garden area in the school.
- Castle Heights Elementary, "Spacing Out!: Creating Learning/Play Spaces" ~ Created a host of improvements to the kindergarten yard.
- Silver Lake Neighborhood Council Beautification Committee, "ArtCans for Silver Lake" ~ Installed the third set of "Art Cans" in Silver Lake.
- Vinedale ES Parent Teacher Association (PTA), "Vinedale Elementary School/La Tuna Canyon/Sun Valley Community Mural Beautification Project" ~ Created a mural honoring America's past and present. The border of the mural features tiles that were created by each student in the school.
- Wilton Place Elementary School, "The Power to Dream/Strive To Succeed!" ~ Painted a inspirational mural in the school at the main enterance.
- Playa del Rey Beautification Committee, "The Little Garden That Could" ~ Transformed a corner of the school into a beautiful garden.
Also of special mention is the recently finished project "Literary Mosaic" by the Friends of Memorial Library. The internationally recognized artist Brent Spears, known for his designs for the first five House of Blues venues, created a mosaic bench at the Memorial Branch Library. This amazing work of art using tiles, glass and unique "found objects" brings to mind the Watts Towers and the work of Antoni Gaudi.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Save the Date to attend one of the 15 CB Grant Workshops near you. Released is the LIST of 15 Community Beautification Grant Workshops held throughout the Los Angeles area.
At the workshops, the CB Grant staff shares a lot of information about 2009 -10 grant process, including showing pictures of previous projects, explaining in detail how to fill out the application, and offering tips on how to submit a competitive proposal. No reservations are required to attend.
Check the CB Grant website's WORKSHOP PAGE a few days prior to the event to confirm the date and location as there may be changes to the workshop schedule.
We look forward to seeing you at a workshop.
Thursday, June 4, 2009
- Community Day of Service- Volunteers will be planting trees along Mission Rd. To be a part of the tree planting, RSVP to Thalia Uribe by June 23rd at (213) 473-9950 or by email, Thalia.Uribe@lacity.org. Remember to bring gardening gloves, sunblock and a hat to the event.
- Grand Opening of the East LA MTLA Tree Center and Environmental Facility- Trees and mulch will be given away at the grand opening. A limited quantity of citrus trees will be available for adoption (must live or own property within the City of Los Angeles) so it's first come first serve. The facility, soon to release its schedule of operation, will offer free mulch and trees. To find out more, contact the City's Citywide Services Directory at 3-1-1 (within LA area) or at (213) 473-3231 and request for the Million Trees LA Program.
- Over 20 eco-friendly organizations will be sharing their services and/or products to help the community to act and think green.
- Date: Saturday, June 27, 2009
- Time: 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Where: 850 N. Mission Road, Los Angeles (between Cesar Chavez Ave. & 5 fwy on ramp). Street parking available.