How would you like an free Los Angeles-based iPhone app that shows you the closest library, coffee shop, yoga facility or free wi-fi access point to where you are right now? We found that app. It is called LA WAY.
Once you open the app, you are presented 32 different topics of information on two screens, such as Dining, Events, Tours, Gas Stations, Apartments and News. However, many of the topics have more specific sub-topics. For example, once you click on the Shopping topic, you will find more specific sub-topics like Department Stores, Fashion, Gadgets, Malls and Outlets, and Florists.
It is a quick and simple way to check what services are around you at any given point in the day. You can download this app for free from the iTunes marketplace, by clicking on this link. Let us know what you think.
*To our knowledge, this app is not affiliated with the City of Los Angeles.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard will be hosting her 15th Annual Grants Workshop on Friday, June 4th, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Gas Company's Energy Resource Center located at 9240 E. Firestone Blvd in Downey, California. This is a great opportunity to learn about the grants available to you as an organization and to meet grant-making representatives. Below are some of the agencies who will be giving presentations:
- U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Administration of Aging
- Health Resources and Services Administration
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Corporation for National and Community Service
- California Emergency Management Agency
Posted by Los Angeles CB Grant at 2:42 PM
Friday, May 14, 2010
Spring is here and it's time to plant your garden. To help you, the City of LA Bureau of Sanitation is offering FREE mulch and compost to all residents of LA. Bring your own shovel and bags to one of the 9 sites listed below and take as much mulch as you need. Click here for a listing of times and locations.
- Lake View Terrace - 11950 Lopez Canyon Rd, Sylmar
- Sheldon-Arleta - 12455 Wicks St, Sylmar
- West Valley - 16600 Roscoe Pl, North Hills
- Donald C Tillman - 15800 Victory Blvd, Van Nuys
- West LA - 6000 W Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles
- East LA - 2649 E Washington Blvd, Los Angeles
- Elysian Valley - 3000 Gilroy St, Los Angeles
- San Pedro - 1400 N Gaffey, San Pedro
- N Mission Rd - 850 N Mission Rd, Los Angeles
Posted by Los Angeles CB Grant at 5:28 AM
Thursday, May 13, 2010
There will be a free plant give-away on Saturday, May 15 at 8:30 at Sylmar High School (13050 Borden Ave., Sylmar 91342). If you have any questions, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. More information below.
CLICK HERE for larger image.
Posted by Los Angeles CB Grant at 2:52 PM
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
This week, a great community gathering will take place, the 2010 Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative (LANI) 8th Annual Community Forum. The forum will be held on Thursday, May 13th, 2010, from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m at the USC Davidson Conference Center, 3415 S. Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90007. The esteemed founder and CEO of Homeboy Industries, Father Greg Boyle, will be the Honorary Speaker at this year's event. Topics discussed at the workshops include:
- THE BEAT ON YOUR STREET: Community Policing in Action
- POTATO CHIPS TO PRODUCE: Bringing Healthy Food to the Corner Market
- PROMOTORES: Neighbors Sharing Information and Creating Change
- SOME LIKE IT HOT: Reshaping Our Highways with High-Occupancy Toll Lanes
- COMMUNITY WALKING GROUPS: Walking Your Way to Better Health
- GRIDLOCKED: Mitigating L.A.'s Notorious Traffic Congestion
- L.A.'S UNTAPPED MARKETS: Catalyzing Investment in Inner-City Neighborhoods
- SOUTH L.A. UPDATE: Planning for the Renaissance
More information on these topics is provided on the brochure. It is not too late to register -- go to http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HX6ZXDH.
See you there!
Posted by Los Angeles CB Grant at 11:27 AM